Technical Documentation Translation: Necessary for Global Expansion
Technical documentation translation allows multinational enterprises to seamlessly transition to new markets. Technical documents are at the heart of a business’s vital processes and products: user manuals, how-to guides, research handbooks, etc. Without those documents, that transition to a new market inevitably suffers from gaps in knowledge and training which can lead to costly delays. The translation of these technical materials is vital to successful corporate expansion.
Many growing enterprises try to cut the costs of expansion by ruling out the use of a professional document translation service. In many cases, this can be driven by past experience with translation companies that don’t collaborate or communicate well. This often results in missed deadlines and inaccurate translations.
However, enterprises that engage the services of a certified translation service can expect:
- Fewer expenses in administrative and data-handling costs
- Consistency in the quality of translations through terminology management
- Faster turnaround times for translation projects
- Smaller risk of error
- Transparency in native-speaking translation teams and their credentials
The Experts Behind Legal Document Translation Services
Finding the right translation company, one that offers document translating services, can be broken down into an evaluation of two factors: years of experience and current clientele.
Multinational enterprises are increasingly placing their vital legal and technical documents in the hands of translation companies that have years of experience in the industry. It is also helpful to investigate whether the company is already providing professional document translation to companies that number among the Fortune 500.
Here are a few additional qualities that can be expected from a reliable translation company:
- Native-speaking translators who have the following certifications:
- Advanced degrees in law and other scientific and technical fields
- Training in advanced translation technology software
- Experience in translating a variety of technical publications, such as:
- Business proposals
- Training manuals
- IT documents
- Draft diagrams
- Legal documents
- Website content
- Online applications
- Experience in localization:
- Not translating word-for-word, but understanding the context
- Knowing the culture the material will be exposed to
- Understanding specific nuances of the culture to ensure accuracy
- Having a target audience in mind to pinpoint better translation techniques
Companies that offer these technical translation services have been found to deliver timelier, more cost-efficient, and above all more accurate, document translations.
Technical Document Translation Techniques
In addition to possessing the attributes discussed in the previous section, a translation company must also apply tried and true strategies. Technical document translation requires more than just knowledge of the target language. A consistent and quality-delivering document translation service will rely on these best practices:
1. Specialized Teams. As stated earlier, a successful translation company hires translators who are native speakers of the target language. Not only should they be native speakers, but they should have advanced degrees in technical fields and be well-versed in the technical language of the project’s given field.
2. Centralized Processes. Sometimes an enterprise seeking to go global contracts with dozens of translators around the globe, each with their own agents and systems. This causes problems because these teams don’t collaborate or coordinate with each other. High costs and hundreds of human errors and inconsistencies later, the enterprise is facing down an important deadline that hasn’t been met and incorrectly translated documents. In a translation company with a centralized process, there are teams within the one company that collaborate with each other and with local agents in an organized and timely fashion. Clients only have to interface with one project manager as opposed to several.
3. Terminology Management. Certified document translation services with centralized processes eliminate a huge percentage of translation errors through the consistent use of predefined terminology specific to an industry’s internal vernacular. The specialized teams, coordinating with one another, develop glossaries and dictionaries, research and develop terminology databases, and develop and implement style guides.
4. Quality Control. A technical translation service should take preventive quality control action like collecting reference files, automating terminology use, planning projects and task analysis, reviewing source files to validate file integrity and document design, and protecting tags and formatting information.
5. Proprietary Technology. Terminology and quality controls are aided through the use of advanced proprietary technology. Technical translating services should be constantly improving their methods not only through their translation teams, but also through the advancement of their technology.
Effects of Recruiting an Unreliable Document Translation Services Company
When it comes to technical document translation, best practices must be established and followed. Inexperienced translation companies, however, are often playing catch up with the industry leaders.
Technical translation requires the efforts of dedicated and experienced translators committed to helping their clients establish themselves in global markets. When entrusted with translating technical documents, inexperienced translation companies generally deliver:
- Inaccurate and inconsistent translation of terms and their meanings
- Discrepancies in business documents
- Complete misrepresentation of the enterprise and its brand
- Huge time delays
- Missed deadlines
- Wasted funds
- High amounts of stress and anxiety
For Technical Documentation Translation, Request an Estimate from MultiLing
MultiLing has provided unrivaled technical documentation translation for the past 25 years to leading companies in the world’s most complex and innovative fields. Our work on software localization and technical document translation services has made us the preferred choice for Fortune 500 companies like Dell, IBM, Procter & Gamble and Intuit.
Contact us today for a free estimate on our translation services.