As enterprises rely more on technological advances and broadening market reach to spur their success, their reliance on technical document translation services increases as well. Although technical documents are not limited to merely documenting the processes and uses of technology, most technical writings refer or relate to technological fields, along with their specific terminologies. As a result, it requires a certain level of technical expertise from both writers and translators.
The vast majority of the world’s translation output revolves around technical translation service. These translations can be found any time you open an instruction manual for a new gadget, or any time you use a help tool on a software program. Literary materials do not experience the same daily usage, and so only account for a fraction of the world’s translation. The driving demand is for the consistent, accurate translation of technical materials.
What Requires Technical Translating Services?
Due to the popularity and utility of technical documents, almost every field requires document translating services. Some of the fields that require technical translation on a regular basis are:
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Systems
All of these fields have a wide range of technical documentation, always depending on the products and services they offer. Different types of documents that may require translation services are:
- Owners’ manuals
- User guides
- Legal documents
- Marketing materials
Technical Document Translation Techniques
Technical document translation is a specialized process that is best performed by professionals who are native speakers of the target language and intimately acquainted with the technical subject matter. It can be long and exhaustive, depending on the style of the document and the requirements for the end product. For instance, some documents require certified translation, while other documents allow for automated translation by computers. The following are the basic steps in the process of translation:
1. Interpret the source text.
2. Compose the translation.
3. Conduct the research for the interpretation and translation.
4. Check the draft translation for errors and correct if necessary.
5. Figure out how the intended use of the translation affects how the translator carries out the other tasks.
Technical Document Translation Best Practices
While translating technical documents, there are certain sensitive points or best practices that every translator should follow:
- Take the other language’s writing conventions into account. Some things are acceptable in certain dialects or languages that aren’t acceptable elsewhere. It’s important to identify these in your target language.
- Understand specialized terminology. Each field has its own terminology, and it’s essential that a translator should be able to translate even the most complex terms and concepts. Even the simplest mistakes can carry serious consequences for the end product.
- Know the subject at hand. Thoroughly understanding what the document is about is necessary to translate accurately.
- Research to supplement knowledge. If you don’t understand everything, research to find out more. Having a deep background knowledge will help with unexpected quandaries.
- Understand how the culture interacts with technology. Each culture views and treats technology differently. Knowing how this interaction takes place can assist with translation.
- Remember the audience. Gearing translation for a wider audience is always important with professional document translation.
Successful Technical Translation
The key to any successful document translation is holding the end goal of usability in sight. Technical translation is pointless if it isn’t the least bit useful. It’s incredibly easy to ruin the meaning of a translation with unclear words or phrasing.
The other important aspect of a successful translation is reaching your target audience. Most owners’ manuals require the simplest of language so that almost anybody could read and understand it. On the other hand, a patent translation requires extremely specific and technical language.
What Happens Without Proper Legal Document Translation Services
If a text is incorrectly translated, it calls into question the enterprise’s credibility and professional integrity. The audience will immediately begin to distrust the text, which can be problematic in some cases, while totally disastrous in others. The consequences will vary depending on the text and the popularity of the product it accompanies. For patent and legal translations, a faulty translation could mean that a patent won’t meet a country’s standard, which can prove costly to any company.
MultiLing’s Experienced, Reliable Technical Translation Services
If you’re looking for an experienced document translation service, MultiLing offers 25 years of technical and certified document translation services. Paired with MultiLing’s experience, the company’s unique centralized model offers the perfect combination for professional document translation services:
- Terminology management. MultiLing builds up glossaries, dictionaries and databases that receive regular updates on technical terminology so that documents are consistent in the terms they use.
- Native speakers with in-depth technical expertise. MultiLing understands the importance of providing the most accurate translation, which is why they employ native speakers of the target language who usually also have advanced degrees in the needed technical field.
- Localization. MultiLing specializes in localization for software and technical documents, tailoring them both linguistically and culturally to appeal to consumers in specific regions across the globe.
For Accurate, Timely Technical Document Translation Services, Request an Estimate from MultiLing
Technical document translation services create opportunities for multinational enterprises interested in expanding across the global stage. If your enterprise is in need of technical documentation translation or software localization, turn to MultiLing. The company provides professional translation service and patent translation to industry leaders in the most complex and demanding fields.
Request an estimate for our technical document translation services today.