SALT LAKE CITY, Jan. 27, 2015—MultiLing Corp., the innovative leader in intellectual property (IP) translations and related support services for foreign patent filings, today announced that its worldwide revenue grew 33 percent in 2014. The company attributes its growth to an increased ability to meet the continued upsurge in global patent filings from U.S., European and Asian enterprises.
“The continued increase in patent filings worldwide has triggered an even greater demand for quality patent translations and filing services, especially to and from predominantly Asian-speaking countries,” said Michael Sneddon, president and CEO at MultiLing. “MultiLing focuses on better addressing the unique needs global enterprises face when aiming to protect their IP worldwide, including lowering the overall cost of patent ownership, reducing the risk of invalidation and enabling a faster time to grant.”
According to the 2014 edition of the World Intellectual Property Indicators released last month, innovators filed 2.57 million patent applications worldwide in 2013. This is a nine percent increase over 2012 and demonstrates growth that has nearly tripled since 1995. Three of the top four patent offices continue to include China (coming in first for the third year in a row), Japan and Korea, all representing difficult-to-translate Asian languages.
During 2014, MultiLing:
- Expanded its Asia region capability with a new office in Taiwan.
- More than doubled its office space in China, Japan and Korea.
- Increased corporate headquarters’ office space by 25 percent.
- Continued bringing together the right people—including David Urry, chief financial officer; Michael Degn, VP of sales; and a strong team of next-level managers—as well as new processes and technologies to give clients the quality legal translations they require.
- Achieved ISO 9001:2008certification, the internationally recognized set of quality management standards from the International Organization of Standardization. (At the same time, the company renewed its EN 15038:2006 certification, the European quality standard for translation services.)
- Acquired more than 1,000 additional scientific translators to better meet the needs of Global 500 legal teams across the globe.
- Was named to the Utah Business Fast 50 after doubling its revenue between 2009-2014 (the five years evaluated for the award).
Founded in 1988, MultiLing is the innovative leader in IP translation and related support services for foreign patent filings by Global 500 legal teams. The company defined and continues to drive best practices for foreign patent filings, which include in-country native linguists, scientists, engineers and legal specialists who interact through processes and technologies that increase quality, consistency and on-time delivery. Clients include Procter & Gamble, Yokohama Rubber and Dow Corning.